Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do you like Ravel's Tzigane for Violin and Piano or Orchestra?

I love it with the orchestra because the colours help highlight the gyspy-esque, middle-eastern themes. Though when the orchestra comes in, I feel like harp doesn't have the projection and the dreamy sound of the piano. Because it's all staccati and I prefer the piano entrance, which is all fluid arpeggios.



Do you like Ravel's Tzigane for Violin and Piano or Orchestra?imax theater



I love the orchestral version, with all its effects and colors. Ravel was a master orchestrator -- the use of the winds especially is wonderful.



That being said, there are concessions you have to make playing with an orchestra that you don't have to worry about with a piano. An orchestra is an unwieldy beast, and doesn't change course very easily, so some of the rubato that you might use when one person is accompanying you has to be toned down when there are 60. Of course, if you get to play it with New York Phil, for instance, that's not as much of a problem...



Do you like Ravel's Tzigane for Violin and Piano or Orchestra?classical music opera theater



Well, I can see why you'd like it with piano. However, performed correctly, with the orchestra it can be a marvelous piece. The player need be virtuousic and the conductor sensitive (and the skills of the harpist are sorely tested!). I particularly like the older vengerov's rendition and by a friend I know attending college. It's crazy!
i almost always like a composition for orchestra moreso but i have not heard this composition though.
I think I recall this one, and I think I enjoyed it.



I wish I could offer a better answer now. What I really need to do is listen to it again, but do not have that CD.



I'll call up the local classical radio station and see if I can get them to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
live update