Saturday, December 5, 2009

How much would a beginners violin cost be at a pawn shop?

I would avoid pawn shops, unless you have some knowledge of how to find a good quality instrument. For the same reason, I would avoid ebay. I mean, you may find a violin for $50, but it may be such poor quality that it's not even worth that. A cheap violin often doesn't stay in tune, isn't set up well for comfortable playing, and has poor sound quality. People often think that they can get a cheap instrument to start and then upgrade when they improve a bit. But poor quality instruments often lead to frustration and quitting. I've seen it too many times. My recommendation would be to look for a second-hand instrument through other local means. If you can get some assistance from a local violinist or violin teacher as to where to go, that would be great. There is probably some local luthier who sells used instruments on consignment out of his house somewhere in your city. You just need to ask around to find the place to go. Some places to ask: Call the local youth orchestra; call the local school orchestra teacher; call a local music store that offers lessons and ask to speak with their violin teacher; etc. I am a violin teacher, and I have received many calls like this both at the schools where I've worked and at the music stores at which I've taught. It is not at all unusual. Sometimes I've even been able to match people up with a student who is selling a good beginning violin. You can also try www.craiglist.org, but make sure you have someone you trust look at the violin first.



There are many, many good brands; but if you are looking for an inexpensive starter violin, I'd plan on spending somewhere in the $250-300 range, at least. In good condition, any of the following brands would be a good catch in that price range: Glaesel, Knilling, and Scherl %26amp; Roth. An experienced violinist or violin teacher could help you navigate through some of the lesser-known names, but these are some of the more well-known brands that are good for starting on and are often sold to students in school programs through local music stores (so there are a lot of them around). Whatever you do, avoid the $99, $120, or $200 'special' on a new instrument, bow and case. While impressively shiny, you will undoubtedly sacrifice a great deal on quality. I am a profession violinist, and honestly I can't even get some of those cheap violins to sound any good.



I hope you find a great deal on a nice starter instrument, and that you (or you child?) enjoy learning how to play it. I've been playing for many years, and it has brought me a lot of joy.



How much would a beginners violin cost be at a pawn shop?extension



Depends on the quality of the violin. I am a pawnbroker. I start off selling the cheapo beginners at $59 and go up from there.



How much would a beginners violin cost be at a pawn shop?movie theater opera theater



I am sure you would find a wide range on this item. you might be best to search on ebay for a good deal, then you know your price and limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
live update