Thursday, December 10, 2009

What is does it mean when a violin bow is half lined?

Interesting question I happened upon. I will assume you know the different parts of a bow for my answer.



The lining on the bow is the metal on the frog. Half lined bows have only the contact surface with the stick lined with metal.



Full lined bows have metal from the slide around the back of the frog.



I hope that makes sense.



I tried to find some pictures on line that would show the difference. This is best I could find, I think it shows the full lined bow well(you can see the metal, probably silver, comming around to meet the ivory). I couldn't seem to find any to show half lined but I think it will give you the idea.



http://www.feinviolins.com/resize.php?im...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
live update